Friday, August 29, 2014

The Potty Post


There have been two specific things I have been slightly fearful of after the birth of our twins. Potty training and toddler bed transitioning. Both are kinda big milestones. Both require patience and time on a parent's part. (Both of which I am lacking in these days...)
And so. Several months ago I determined that there would be no "formal" potty training. No "3-days to success plan", no hardcore sit-them-on-a-potty-every-half-hour routine. I refused to make toilet training a mountain I would quite literally die on. So, when my boys began to show interest/know-how a few months back, I thought it was fabulous...without getting my hopes set too high. We did some run-around-naked days (to which I cleaned up very loose poop from my carpet. A couple times.). They do so love being naked. The girls were rather disturbed at how their little boy parts were touched upon each and every surface of this house. But...within the first few days the boys seemingly understood where their outputs were to go. I didn't fight, I didn't wrestle. But I still refused to say we were potty training. And I bought several large boxes of very tiny chocolates. Incentive. It always helps.
After a week or so of naked time, I decided big boy undies were in order. Because, really, is there anything cuter than a pair of underwear on a little body? I think not. After a few days of no accidents, I took the plunge and did what all us moms are on the edge of our seats about...going public. Diaperless. With our froggy potty in tow, we took to the towns. Hubs was fearful. The girlies were convinced there would be puddles of pee and piles of poo. I remained determined and focused. And those boys amazed everyone. No puddles, no piles. Just one very full and very stinky froggy potty that traveled along with us.
Yesterday was bittersweet. We bid farewell to their cloth diapers for good. They have moved on to serve another little boy during his babyhood. While I won't complain about washing and drying diapers, I will admit I was sad to close the door to that chapter. The last two in diapers are no more in diapers. I can't really call them "babies" anymore. But...I press on.
The new stage for these boys apparently involves marking their territory. I'm pretty sure they have peed on every tree on our lot. And have asked to pee on other things as well...such as their bicycle, the goats, the chicken fence, the neighbor's lawn....But. Enough cannot be said about the joys of taking little boys to the bathroom. As it turns out...the bathroom can be pretty much anything you want it to be in the great big outdoors. Something I was never able to do with the girls. Easy. Peasy. (Except for their non-fear of people seeing them naked. We have a little work to do in the whole modesty/appropriateness department...)
And that is that. The boys have given up their diapers. I'm still in shock it was that easy. And half-awaiting some sort of catastrophic fallout to ensue. Fingers crossed.
Now...the toddler bed issue. Not sure how that story will unfold. If they haven't mastered climbing out of their cribs, they just might remain there until their limbs outgrow them. Perhaps even longer. We shall see how that one plays out...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Congratulations!!! I'm embarking on that soon -- I'm kinda dreading it...Levi is a wicked stubborn kid. But -- super smart and independent, too -- so...I'm hopeful!! and travelling with a little boy who has to pee...I can only assume its easier than with little girls...stop - open door. pee. drive away. no mess, no toilet paper or trickling down the leg. most of the time, anyways. lovely. I'm hoping the box of diapers I bought last week -- purposely a smaller box -- may be my last...we shall see. I'm actually hoping to have another one to diaper someday soon, but -- for now...I'm kinda looking forward to NOT diapering Levi. I'll keep ya posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Kristi...trips with pottying little boys are FAAAAAR easier than they were with little girls! Ours were terribly shy/modest about using bathrooms. Heaven forbid there not be a rest stop to use. They refused side-of-the-road peeing, and even turned their noses up to a training potty in the car (someone might see!). These two could care less where, how or who sees. It's pretty awesome.
    Good luck on your journey with Levi! He may (just like our boys) surprise you and be a breeze! Fingers crossed for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete