Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Mini-Farm: 2014

I'm not even sure how it happened. All I know is Hubs texted me one day, "What do you think about getting the girls their goats?" After two years of "no, No, NO...absolutely NO MORE animals; especially not goats!" My jaw hit the floor. I was amazed. And confused. And amazed. But mostly confused.
And within a few days, our mini-farm grew again.
It had slowly begun to diminish. We had rested two guinea pigs in the ground in peace. Two chickens were sent to poultry heaven. My house no longer contained the aroma of constant critter poo (baby poo, absolutely). But then....that text. When he came home and made the grand announcement to the girls, they were stunned, as well. God bless that man. Try as he might, he's not nearly as rough and tough as he tries to come across. There was gasping. And giggling. And even some clapping, I think. He was their hero. ("Favorite Parent of the Year" award was quickly awarded to Dad. I pretty much got...nothing. Even though I was ever so kind to give them twin brothers...wait. I think that actually brought me down a notch.) Hubs and I worked. We perspired. We even bled a little. He may or may not have tripped with a chop saw in his hand. (Chase is still trying hard to pick scabs off Daddy's knees from that episode.) And in just a day managed to re-arrange the outside living quarters for the newest members of the farm. Before they even entered our property, we informed the girls these two were THEIR responsibility. Totally and completely. For all the care, and all the expenses. Hubs and I...we just get to play with them when we want, and let the girls do all the rest. (If this is what being a grandparent is like...I'm thinking it's going to be absolutely fabulous!!) Determined that it was worth the responsibility, they emptied their "goat-saving-piggy-banks" (Did that phrase not sound a bit bizarre to anyone else as well?) and purchased their beloved goats.
Introducing: "Oliver" and "Reggie". 
They're really quite cute. In a goat-ish sort of way. They were rather shy at first. But the girls have worked hard at getting them warmed up to us humans. Kaytlin spent many an afternoon sitting and reading quietly in their pen in order to do so. It was really quite sweet to see.
And because Hubs was adamant that we not get THREE goats, he promised Lexi her very own guinea pig instead. Last week, we made the trip to the city so she could pick out her new friend. And his name shall be "Zip". I call him Zippity-Doo-Dah. 'Cause it's just more fun. She's in the process of getting him people-trained. He's a bit terrified of people at the moment. Okay, maybe "terrified" is an understatement. He gets a little twitchy when we touch him. Or go near him, for that matter. We're really hoping that changes real soon. Chase is working hard on loving the little fur ball into a more social critter.
Add to the goats: four chickens...
two cats...
one dog...
two rabbits (who have the terrible habit of escaping on a regular basis)...
a bazillion tadpoles (aren't these things supposed to turn into frogs? They've been swimming on my front porch for about a month now, with no legs in sight...)...
a lonely minnow (there were more...but they're suspiciously disappearing overnight)...
and five kids...
...and I'd say it's a pretty decent mini-zoo-farm. But mostly usually a zoo.

Post Edit: When we purchased the goats, they came with some strange rubber bands tied tight around...well...their man/goat parts. I was a bit taken back about that until the girls explained it was called "banding", and was the method used to sterilize male goats. Each to their own, I say. Well, until Kaytlin brought me said man/goat-parts in hand today for a little show-and-tell that "it" had finally fallen off. Showing me with the piece in her hands, no less. (You'll thank me for not posting pics.) Mercy. I'm still recovering from the horror of it all...

No comments:

Post a Comment