Yesterday was Halloween. The candy-getting, costume-wearing time of year. While I'm not a huge advocate of all things terrifying, creepy and gory; I'm also not against the holiday itself.
I understand that within the Christian community there are many mixed views on Halloween. We've had our own varied thoughts throughout the years, in fact.
Facebook seemed to be the target of choice yesterday for such opinions. While I sat with my morning cup of coffee to peruse the day's happenings, I stumbled upon a rather interesting online debate amongst Christians. One that turned heated and sarcastic over the course of just a few hours. All in the name of Christ. I guess. And while my first instinct was to respond with dripping sarcasm (my weapon of choice), I held back. I'm working on that. It encourages and edifies no one but my own flesh and ego. But, oh, I was on edge with comments ready to fire out. My fingers were getting all twitchy on my keyboard with each and every post I read. After a while I forced myself to retreat all together from the conversation. My flesh...she beckoned me to linger. But I know me. I know my ugly motives and harsh words wouldn't be received well...nor would there be any good to be gained.
I just don't get it. I get that as Christians we are individuals. People with different opinions, thoughts, convictions and preferences. It's all good. Healthy, in fact. It is, after all, what makes up the body of Christ. Our differences are what draw us closer to God..in search of His individual, personal desires for us. And I wholeheartedly believe there are definitive "black-and-white" truths found within the Bible that there is absolutely no way to get around. But. We have also found loopholes to make the Word say virtually anything we want it to say. Unfortunately, our human race through the years has done just that. I grew up convinced that certain things were absolutely, without a shadow of doubt wrong. Years ago I recall being posed the situation: Is it wrong to go into a bar to witness for Christ? Without a second thought the answer was: Yes, yes! Absolutely it would be wrong. On so many levels. First, the appearance of evil. What if I cause a brother to stumble? What if I tempted to have a drink? It's a terrible, awful place for a Christian to be...and one ought NEVER, under any circumstance EVER step foot in there. Now. Fast forward to today. I'm shamed by my way of thinking back then. There was very little "righteous" about it. And so, in the present, I pose a new question: What if? What if I knew for sure there was one soul in there that was going to eventually accept Christ, and I was to be used as a stepping stone for him to get there? Would I do it? Without hesitation...yes. Absolutely yes. (Would it be okay for everyone to do so? I can't answer that. I'm not everyone else.) When that situation was presented to me years ago, I have to admit...I was so judgmental within my own heart towards the person whom asked it. I couldn't even believe it was something they would be willing to do. I never even entertained the thought...never opened my mind to anything else, because I "knew" what was right. After all, if I was actually wrong, my ego and pride might be wounded. And we just can't have that, now can we?
What I don't get is how we just can't agree to disagree when there's personal interpretation of the Scripture to be had. There's just something wrong with Christianity today; and it isn't about us celebrating Halloween, social drinking, wearing pants to church, or choosing to use birth control or not. No, that's all the small stuff...in comparison. The bigger issue at hand is what's flowing forth from the heart. Motives and intentions. I wholeheartedly "Amen" that we should never compromise or water down clear truths that God's given us. But we ought to be showing one another grace when it comes to those individual preferences. I'll be the first to stand and admit that the preferences I'm passionate about, I can easily feed my ego on. If not cautious, I can be convinced my way is the only way. But I'd be a fool. And a terrible example to those whom don't know the God I do. It's no wonder the world looks on at us "religious freaks" and wants nothing to do with our bizarreness. We can't even deal civilly with one another at times. To stand back and look at the bigger picture...I'd say we all look like fools at times. Self included.
The older I get, the easier I find it to back out of controversial topics. My opinion doesn't always have to be heard. Nor is it always right. Life is far too valuable to die on mountains that don't really matter. Drama no longer entices me like it used to. Perhaps I'm just too old. Or too tired. Or too busy. (Or have too many children to raise.)
I watch my children. I see how quickly the small stuff can ignite raging fires. And I can't help but wonder what kind of example I've been and continue to be in regards to letting the small stuff go. In showing kindness and grace. In allowing the ones I love their faults, opinions and differences. In dying to self daily. And in silently watching grown Christians mock, criticize and argue with one another...I'm reminded to yet again look inward. Still so much to change. Never, ever done growing and changing...
No comments:
Post a Comment