I absolutely adore waking up to a clean house. There's just something so right about starting your day clutter and mess-free. And although my days always end terribly cluttered and horribly messy; getting things back in order is so...lovely.
And so...last night I went to a whole new level of organized order to provide myself with a said wonderful morning. After all the kiddos were tucked in for the night I went to work. Floors were vacuumed, carpets were vacuumed. The carpet even got a much needed washing. Laundry was done. Dishes put away. Breakfast preparations were awaiting on the kitchen counter. I. Was. Superwoman. There wasn't anything that was going to ruin the good day I had planned tomorrow. I looked around at all my efforts and then went to bed happy. And tired.
And then today happened.
Cody decided there was no way on God's green earth that he was going to stay in his crib for a nap (or for 5 minutes, for that matter). Chase decided he needed a nap, but since Cody wasn't taking one neither should he. This made for an interesting school morning.
Toddlers under foot and not very happily, mind you. Students whom broke into tears because dividing to the second decimal place was entirely too consuming. In attempts at keeping twin toddlers at bay, I allowed them free reign of the house. And the back porch. To which they joyfully discovered the game of "toss all our toys off the porch". Including almost all of mom's shoes. Divine. The good news: it wasn't raining.
The little guys also decided to help with laundry. And since they pushed the "cancel" button in mid-cycle (which cycle it was in, I'm really unsure), there was nothing left to do but wash the clothes. All. Over. Again. The good news: this week's clothes will be super-duper clean.
While in the midst of studying about colonial days, Chase thought he could fly...only to learn the hard way he cannot. One not so graceful face-plant later, colonial days was temporarily on hold.
Fortunately we stumbled our way through school, and after some outdoor play it was time for lunch. Cody was less than impressed with the menu. And when he watched his older sisters grab some candy corn for desert, he felt rather deserved of his share. When Mama declined, he figured maybe howling really, REALLY loudly and really, REALLY long might help. Chase, dining next to all this commotion, was disturbed.
After lunch I attempted to clean up some of the chaos. But Cody was still in a funk from the candy-corn episode and was apparently lacking for attention.
I declared at 1:00 pm today that it is officially napping time. And quite time. The boys, exhausted as they were, quickly embraced sleep; the girls got busy making homemade taffy. (Messy? Indeed. But three girls whom are happily distracted makes it all worthwhile.)
And this Mama's coping techniques? A whole lot of laughing at life and the chaos each day brings. (Well...and sometimes a few tears of crazy frustration mixed in.) And coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. To which I shall now sign off and go make myself a large cup...and sip ever so slooooowly. Until the Twins of Mass Destruction awake for round two of the already crazy day in Crazyville...
No comments:
Post a Comment