Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Balance

Time is going by around me far too fast.
One day is meshing into another, and before I realize it another week has slipped by...quickly followed by another month. And another season. (Is it REALLY fall already? Woa.)
It's crazy, this season of life. It's seemingly never ending, yet in a blink it will be passed.
I find myself wavering; struggling to achieve that well-sought after balance that most mothers intensely chase after. Trying hard to balance keeping a home (and keeping it well), mother all the chicks in her flock, be attentive to a husband...and all the while pursue little hobbies and interests in attempts at keeping ones self sane. (Moms around the world...you know what I mean.) I find if I focus on one thing; and do it well...everything else suffers to some degree. And then guilt sets in from failing to give everything else my absolute best. Balance. It's a good thing. When you learn how to do it well.
This school year I purposed to put much attention into the girls' schooling. Last year...well. With twin baby boys it suffered. Sure, it all got done. But without my absolute best attempts. (I will from here on forth refer to 2012 as "The Survival Year".) And while I don't expect perfection of myself, I know deep in my heart when I've done my best and when I've half-hearted my way through it. This year it's still a challenge, but I've purposed to stay much more on top of things. Now...if the rest of life would cooperate. I've had sick boys, nap-protesting boys and horrid allergy issues (my own) challenge my attempts. And, while I put so much energy into perfecting that area of my little world, the laundry piles up. Breakfast dishes wait on the counter. Things get tossed in corners and closets rather than properly put away. Blogs are neglected. (Have you noticed?)  Hubs is left with a fatigued wife at the end of the day whom has opted out of having meaningful conversation. Balance. I'm learning.
It's strange...this season of life. It's my absolute favorite...but just so happens to be one of the most physically and mentally draining. Toddlers running around, the house filled with chatter, laughter, crying, teenage drama, sometimes fighting. It's so very....full. A good kinda full. For the most part. Some days it's easy to embrace this fullness; others this Mama is ready to pack up her belongings and check in to a nunnery. Just keepin' it real.
In my quest for better balance I'm learning this one thing: There just aren't enough hours in the day to devote my absolute best to everything. That I can accept. The real challenge lies in prioritizing what MUST get done as a mom and wife, what SHOULD get done, and what I'd LIKE to get done. There is a difference.
I'm learning. Growing. Stretching. And no doubt when I think I've just about got the hang of things...life will change again. That's okay. I've always just been along for the ride, anyhow...
What a crazy ride it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment