Monday, March 18, 2013

A Tale of Three Little Farmer Girls...

The past week our girlies have been a whir of chit-chat. More specifically, they're all about goats. Yep, that's right. Goats. Red-necks, baby. Some kids are flying high on the kites of electronics, gadgets and games. Mine tend to prefer the warm-blooded, furry toys. I'm pretty sure that all three shall go into some sort of field working with animals when they grow.
Hubs and I have heard everything we ever wanted to know about goats (and more) the past few days. All about short goats, fat goats, baby goats, multi-colored goats. Miniature goats and milk goats. And while they had not got around to asking, we knew they were buttering us up for the big moment that they were anticipating. They hovered around Kaytlin's bed last night waiting to pounce. When we ventured upstairs to pray them to bed they attacked. Notebooks in hand, I couldn't help but glance and giggle at the heading: "Things To Do To Be Responsible". Ah, this was a well-thought out mission. They are well aware our first line of defense on a long list of arguments would be the responsibility issue. Kudos to them for thinking ahead. (We just may have some master manipulators on our hands.) I informed them that even through all this chatter of goats, Daddy and I still had never been formally asked. Hinted at, bargained with, and failed attempts of persuasion...yet not outright asked. To which, of course, they promptly inquired if they in fact may have some goats. Since it was bedtime, and since I was too fatigued for a full-out battle, I declared that the following day there would be an official first family meeting.
This morning, after the boys were tucked away for naps we sat around the living room to hash things out. The girls had a very diplomatic presentation as to how they could procure the finances in which to support the purchase and caring for of not one, but two goats. Hubs and I sat and listened, very straight-faced. There were even pictorial demonstrations to support their view.
I must admit, the whole scheme was methodically and carefully planned, and well executed. However, the downside includes the fact that, as children, they aren't fully aware of the financial dent purchasing and caring for two goats will cause. Still, Hubs and I were determined not to quickly squelch such good ambitions. We informed them that first and foremost; if any said furry creatures are entering our home we are completely and thoroughly done with providing for them or caring for them. We need not more mouths to feed. Or poo to clean. So their task would be figuring out just what the cost would be, and how to obtain such monies to cover. And then Hubs ever so patiently schlepped them to the hardware store and animal supply store so they may obtain some pricing estimates; and crunch some numbers.
(A whole lotta schooling going on just in this one isolated incident, may I add.)
Hubs and I certainly aren't opposed to teaching our children to work hard; to set goals and achieve them. But holy moley...our mini-farm is full. To the very tippity-top brim.
Cocoa and Ginger, the squabbling sister bunnies.
Is it pathetic that I'm not really sure of this gal's name?
I think it was Oreo or something of the sort.
She's the best resident yet. Barely makes a peep.
Throw some seeds and dried corn at her and she's
happy for a month.
 

Snuggles, the last surviving guinea pig. She looks impressed about the bonnet.

Mocha Latte, our smelly-breathed family cat of 8 years now.
Iggy, Kaytlin's hyper-active, nocturnal feline.
"The Girls" Gracie (yellow), Lucy (brown) & Blackie (yup...you guessed it-black.)
We never did get around to naming the others...since we couldn't really tell them apart anyway.
Good thing we can tell our twins apart...they just may have remained nameless, as well...
Jack, our trusty yet ever-shaggy Bichon-poo.
 

See? Full, full, full. No more room at the inn. The girls beg to differ. But...until we see some money flowing in, it appears as though the goat case just may be closed.
Time will tell. These girlies are awful determined...

3 comments:

  1. Welp... if they EVER manage to convince YOU...methinks I shall have a wee chat with THEM...to figure out how ME, MYSELF, AND I can convince MY hubby on how to get not one, but two goats, as well....

    I kinda' like the milk and homemade yogurt and soap and cheese argument myself.....

    You know you to do, Rachey Rachey Poo Poo......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR GIRLS !
    Mostly because they are so much like my girls :)
    Come on Rachael - What's the harm in one more pet? You won't even notice it ..... heehee ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! You gals crack me up! Okay....I will get goats...just as soon as YOU BOTH DO! :-)

    ReplyDelete