This is my new/used Christmas tree. In pieces on the porch. I found it at the Salvation Army yesterday, and for a good steal. And it doesn't even smell like cigarette smoke. (Am I the only one whom hates that?) It did, however, cause quite the drama within our family. We have always gone and picked out a real tree each Christmas. Hacked the bottom off to fit in the house, trimmed up the sides a bit, wrested with the tree stand, vacuumed the pine needles for weeks on end, and remembered to water it. Actually, scratch that last one. I'm horrible at remembering to water it. In fact, the day after Christmas our trees usually heave a huge sigh of relief, and give up all their browning pine needles at once on the floor. And then I chuck it out on the lawn, where it remains until Hubby has room and energy to take it to the dump. I do so love a fresh, live Christmas tree. But the work? Not so much. So, when I saw a fake, full, tall and beautiful one for cheap, I snatched it up. The children were less than impressed. Correction. Two didn't seem to mind, but one nearly burst into tears as I eyed it. She made me call Hubs on the spot to make sure it was okay with him (for sure she was praying it wasn't). Hubs thought it was much grander than all the work he would have to do for a live tree. Said child then found a corner at the Salvation Army to cry privately. I did feel kind of terrible about the whole situation. (Don't judge me.) But I knew it was a good choice, and after a long talk and a promised pine-scented candle, my girl was okay with it. And now it sits on my porch, awaiting a temporary home until it is needed for assembly. It kind of gets us all in the festive spirit.
Is November 13th too early to decorate for Christmas?
hahaha -- hello 'twin'!! :) The answer is "No" - it is not too early to decorate for Christmas...however...i have great, great sympathy for your daughter who yearns for the 'real' tree...you are no longer my twin.
ReplyDeleteBut -- good for you...I'll still read your blog and comment, and...wish there might come a time when we could re-connect in person, but...anyways...know that I love reading your blog...and I WISH you could teach me how to quilt...this week I started making a 'rag quilt - I am not a very 'perfectionist' person in sewing - i'm too quick and not perfect enough, so...maybe the rag quilt will be okay for me...we shall see...
I should email you and catch up rather than leaving such long comments, but -- let's be honest: its fun getting long comments, isn't it?! :) have a good night, old friend.
OKay, dear friend! I am home. This week is NUTS but maybe next week we can come to you or you could come to us???!!!!! Let's do it before the crazyness of the holidays!
ReplyDeleteHilarious post. gotta agree with Kristi on the sympathy vote for your girl. But I HEAR ya on the forgetting to water and the whole brown pine needles thing. It will interesting with a baby this year. MEthinks his diapers will be smelling mighty piney during this Christmas season! Festive!
Call me! Let's DO this!!! (Or blog me. Whatever).