Update on Katty the caterpillar...well....let's just say she is no longer with us. She now has a "caterpillar heavenly home" in the most peaceful places that she could rest in peace...in the flower garden.
It all came about this afternoon when we arrived home after a nice morning at church. Jillian was checking over her family of "pets" when she happened upon dear ol' Katty. She was completely amazed with Katty's new "trick". (She has been attempting to "train" her group of caterpillars; I think in hopes to one day be on Animal Planets "Pet Star"...my girls just love that show...) "Mom!" she exclaimed "Look at Katty! She shrunk herself!" And, indeed, she did. There lay the poor little thing in her lovely plastic home, all curled, shriveled and dried up. NOT a pretty sight, and definitely not a trick that caterpillars wish to perform. I had to explain that this in fact was not a trick, and that Katty had passed away. Fortunately the girls took it okay, and the whole "there's lots more caterpillars out there to catch" speach was received well. The girls took her for her one last trip to the garden, where she was laid to rest.
I find it so funny how the things I think would be tragic to them sometimes aren't...and the things I wouldn't think would be devastating to them sometimes are. Guess it just goes to show that as a parent, I'm never done learning them! There's certainly never a dull moment! But for now, all is quiet, calm and peaceful...but I have no doubt they will be on another "catperpillar hunt" tomorrow...after all...tomorrow IS another day!
No comments:
Post a Comment